In the torn up town, no post code envy

I was born & raised in a small town (Bayonne) in Jersey, where everyone knows your name and somehow everyone is related in one way or another. I always felt like an outcast growing up, stuck in a town where I didn't belong. I had "champagne dreams" and wanted more then just the average. I could not accept the norm, I envisioned my life much larger then what it was. Every time I hear the song "Royals" by Lorde, I think of my teenage life, and my small town. Making the best of what we had, always headed to the city, and having big dreams. 

 I recently had a conversation with a chic city friend who grew up in Connecticut, and she asked me "Where would you be on a typical Friday night in your teens?". I had to laugh because there were not many other options then this open space hosting trains and containers called "global". This is where we would be on the weekends, looking into the city skyline on a summer night (maybe causing a little trouble), but non the less outside in this industrial strip. 

Even though it looks like a dump, I always found this weird beauty in it. I loved the view of the city, the graffiti everywhere, and the huge containers in every corner. I always wanted to do a shoot at global, so here it is.  My RSVP sweatshirt, checkered hat, paneled leggings, shattered metal necklace and gold/leather cuff are all from Forever 21.  My gold sunnies are called "Champagne Dreams" by Jimmy Swagg eyewear. The bangle stack, midi rings, and statement ring are by Frieda Rothman. Saving the best for last, these black and gold metal bow booties were custom made for me by Brittney Scott. 




























RSVP Sweatshirt: Forever21 | Leggings: Forever 21 | Hat: Forever 21 | Necklace: Forever 21 
 Cuff: Forever21 | Sunglasses: Jimmy Swagg | Shoes: Brittney Scott | Bangles/rings: Frieda Rothman


I followed my passion, had the opportunity to live in different states, and traveled the world… but I will never forget where I came from. This small town made me who I am today, and I am fortunate enough to still have my amazing hometown friends. We can talk about this hang out spot and laugh, reminisce on "the good days"- which were really not good at all, but we always made the best of it.  






SPREAD THE WORD


Comments